Friday 1 August 2008

How the Google generation thinks differently

"Digital-age kids process information differently from parents. Catherine O'Brien (Times Online July 9, 2008) admits misjudging how her son was learning".Ultimately she does not decry the way her son seems to learn. She says "as a digital immigrant, my mind has baseline skills in concentration, contemplation and knowledge construction. My fear - and the reason why I wrested my son's laptop away from him - is that the acquisition of those skills is being lost in the twitch-speed of our new Web 2.0 world".She then quotes a response from Brian Kelly. Overall it's quite an interesting little article and emphasises the need for parents and teachers to realise they need to help the Web generation to reflect and evaluate. I would add that librarians should play a key role here too.

No comments: